Tuesday, August 4, 2009

We have a plan (somewhat...)

Today I got to meet with Dr. M, the other GYN doctor. I had my list of questions to ask her and I was ready for the appointment. I printed off all my charts and was mentally ready for everything. I didn't need any of it.

My wait was a lot shorter than the first time I was at the office. In less than 10 minutes I was back in a room, waiting for the doc. She came in and wasn't really what I expected (but in a good way). In the past, I've only had older male physicians, but she was a newer doctor. She didn't waste anytime getting into things. We discussed the past treatments that I had done as well as mine and hubby's health history. She basically told me that taking anymore Clomid wasn't going to help me much - in fact it would probably hurt me more than help me. She discussed the possibility of changing my O-induction meds, but told me flat out that the increased chances of us getting KU on them wasn't much better than the Clomid. They were merely not as damaging to the lining as Clomid. She also told me that we could try IUIs, but there really isn't a huge increase in our chances either. We discussed an HSG and further options for us. She basically developed a series of next steps for us to take and we'll go from there.

Here's what we get to do with the next cycle:
  • CD3 bloodwork - FSH, LH, estradiol, TSH, FT4, prolacting, fasting glucose, and fasting lipids
  • HSG - complete with anti-infection meds and motrin
  • Repeat SA - it's been a long time since Hubby got checked out, so she wants to make sure things are still good with him
  • Follow up with her after all of this so we can decide what to do next
She also told me that if everything comes back normal, we can either
  1. try the other O-induction meds (letrizole or something like that)
  2. do a lap to make sure I don't have endo or any other abnormalities
  3. see an RE
  4. TAB for awhile (she mentioned a couple of years) then TTC again [her reasoning - we are young and military insurance doesn't cover anything past an OB/GYN for IF treatment (aka it's really expensive and it will all be out of pocket for us)]
So now it's all a waiting game for a couple of weeks. At least now we have an idea what to do next and it doesn't include more Clomid. I discussed things with Hubby and I don't think he's too keen on option 3. He mentioned that although he'd prefer to have a biological baby, we may have to resort to adoption. I'm really hoping and praying that we won't have to go that way. Not that I don't think adoption is good - I'm actually a strong supporter of it. I just don't want to give up so soon on TTC. I mean we are young still (only 24), and there are still other avenues that we haven't explored yet with regards to TTC. Only time will tell what will happen with us.

*additional stuff...*
She also made the question/statement that I should throw away my temp charts if I haven't already because all they do is lead to stress (yup...been there done that a lot). Hubby was happy about it. I'm not quite so sure how I feel about it, especially since that's the only way sometimes that I know AF is coming.

3 comments:

Erin said...

I am surprised you didn't already have all that done before taking Clomid.

I am surprised that she doesn't think IUI will increase your chances????

That really sucks that the military doesn't have good IF coverage. That really stinks.

Caitlin said...

THat stinks about your insurance coverage. It's a struggle that DH and I deal with daily. The bills continue to pile up!

Have you had any testing done previously and she just wants you to redo them, or is this your first time with all of that?

I'm just glad that you've finally got a plan! Now, lets get that ball rolling! :)

gabsy said...

Caitlin -

The only test thats we haven't done are a post-coital and an HSG. Everything else she is repeating, which is good in a way. It has been awhile since we first did all the lab tests and whatnot.