Friday, August 28, 2009

HSG prelim report

Today was finally HSG day. I spent my entire afternoon at the darned hospital because I couldn't see driving all the way across town to do a urine pregnancy test, then going back 2 hours later for the HSG. So I peed in a cup, set Hubby up for his repeat SA, grabbed lunch, and returned to the hospital. I checked in and 45 minutes later, finally got called back.

The nurse I had was amazing. She explained everything to me (even though I basically knew what would happen) and went over all the risks and whatnot. The doctor that did the test was pretty cool too. He reiterated what she had gone over with me and then we got started. I was nearly expecting the worse since I rarely have cramps with AF and most people I know have had some serious cramping/discomfort issues with and after their HSGs. Mine was easy. Both of them.

This may be a little TMI, but I'm gonna share it anyways.



The doc inserted the speculum and wiped down my cervix. Painless. He then inserted the catheter with the balloon on the end. He inflated the balloon and I was all set for the dye. Completely painless and cramp free. He started injecting the dye and my uterus filled up nicely as well as my right tube. Pretty amazing sight to see that stuff on the screen. Then, the unexpected happened. The balloon came out. The doc said he'd never had that happen before. So, in order to actually be able to finish the procedure, he had to start all over again. The second time around, I had a little cramping/pressure. Nothing too unmanageable by any means. As strange as it may sound, it just felt as though I had a little bit of gas. The dye was injected again and the left tube illuminated quite perfectly. Apparently there was a little bit of an angle once the catheter got into my uterus, which is why the first one came out - it wasn't in far enough. The second time around, the right tube wasn't filling up, so he pushed a little bit more. Within a few seconds, it finally filled once again. I could tell something didn't look quite right as I watched the dye spill into my tube. I saw what looked like air bubbles being forced through the engorged ("dialated" as the doc said it) right tube.

Once my second tube finally showed up on the screen, we were done. The doc did a prelim report and mentioned that my right tube was dialiated which could be caused from a possible ectopic pregnancy. He said that since it's dialated, it doesn't mean that I won't get pregnant, but it just means that it will take us longer (yeah...like 22 cycles isn't long enough...). Of course, this is just a prelim report, and I won't know anything for sure until I meet with Dr. M. probably next week sometime.

So that's the story from today. I got 2 HSGs for the price of 1. How nice. Plus, I'll probably have a little more spotting and draining than normal since he had to do everything twice.

And now I'm off to nap before I go to an all-nighter at our church. Tomorrow I sleep!

3 comments:

Caitlin said...

GLad your experience was pain-free for the most part! :)

So you have had an ectopic pregnancy before?

gabsy said...

I don't think I have. Pretty sure I probably would have known about it. I did a little internet research on the whole dilated tube thing and found out that it can also be caused by an infection or by a blockage in the tube. I meet with my GYN on Friday and will hopefully have a better idea about what is really going on.

Kristin said...

I had a similar thing with my HSG, they thought I had a hydrosalpinx. My dr and the doc that read the x-ray thought that. We did an MRI to make sure and it came back all clear. Hope it was just a fluke like mine!