Wednesday, February 2, 2011

CO cold??

No offense to anyone in CO, but as I sit here this morning and see all the school and business cancellations scroll across the bottom of the screen, I can't help but think that people here don't know how to handle cold weather.  Temps yesterday were below zero (our highs for the day), and the windchills dropped it to -20 to -30 degrees.  Basically all schools and half the businesses were either closed or had a late start yesterday.  (Most, if not all, schools were closed.)  Today, it's going to be above zero (I think we have a high of +3 degrees), with windchills pushing it below zero once again.  Once again, a majority of the schools in the area are closed for the day, and many business are either closed or have delayed starts.

Temps like this remind me of our time in NoDak.  Granted, -5 degrees was a heat wave for us in Jan/Feb, but honestly, this weather we've had is nothing.  Yeah, it's cold, but cold enough to cancel schools?  I definitely don't think so.  In NoDak, it was nothing for us to hit temps -20+ degrees, and schools and businesses wouldn't have delayed starts.  We'd just throw another layer on, start our cars a little before we had to leave, and off we'd go!

So to my fellow CO, quit being wusses, throw another layer on (or put on your ski/snowboarding gear), and deal with it!

Just my 2 cents...

:)

2 comments:

Tanya said...

My sentiments exactly. I was born and raised here in UT and felt the same way when I lived in AL and they would shut everything down if there was even a threat of snow...not actual snow, just a threat

Julie said...

I was thinking of my time in ND when people were talking about how cold it is in CO too. That kind of weather is definitely cold, but it doesn't seem to warrant shutting everything down.