Thursday, May 5, 2011

Tickling

Yesterday's appointment went so great!  I completely love my doctor!!  I will honestly say (err type) that I was very skeptical pre-appointment, but both Dr. L and his nurse completely put me at ease and made me realize that the NP I saw last time was just a jerk.

I've managed to put on a whole whopping 14 pounds according to the doctor's scale.  Not bad for being 16 weeks along, right?  Yeah...not quite so much.  My doc reconfirmed that I do need to in fact gain the 40-50 pounds for the twins, plus the weight that I was under pre-pregnancy.  So that totals up to 57-65 pounds!  Holy crap!!  Bring on the healthy calories and protein!!  Wow...  Dr. L did say that I shouldn't get worried or freak out when I see the numbers go up on the scale.  I told him I loved seeing that because I've had weight-gaining problems in the past.

The twins themselves seem to doing great!  Their hearts were beating away at 150 bpm (Twin A) and 151 bpm (Twin B).  They're located exactly where I thought so too.  Based on the location that I have had pains, I guessed that Twin A was hanging out on the lower left side of my belly while Twin B has decided to settle in by my ribs on my right side.  When the doc listened to their heartbeats, that exactly where they were! 

Last night I felt Twin A move!  It didn't last long at all (only a couple of seconds) but it was pretty amazing, I'm not going to lie.  It honestly felt like a lot of little bubbles or light tickling on the inside.  I'll totally remember that, even when they've grown big enough to be kicking my bladder and my ribs at the same time.  I'll remember the joy I had last night when I first felt (and was certain of it) twin A move.  Love it!!

At our appointment, Dr. L informed us that the location where we will have our 20-week screening ultrasound typically likes to do them around 18 weeks for twins.  (!!!)  Holy excited!  We could know in 2 weeks if we're having girls or boys!!  (insert shocked face!!).  I was super excited to hear that.  Speaking of the ultrasound though...

Dr. L told us that based on the last ultrasound (at 11 weeks 4 days), the radiologist said that we have di-di twins (dichorionic, diamniotic).  Basically that means that he thinks they came from 2 separate eggs and each have their own placenta and amniotic sac (like most fraternal twins).  I told Dr. L that wasn't possible because we transferred 1 blastocyst.  He said, "Oh..." and wrote a bunch of notes in my chart.  Once I got home, I did some research as far as getting identical di-di twins.  In order to have identical di-di twins, the egg has to split at 3 days after fertilization.  We did a 5dt of a single blast so if in fast we do have di-di twins, then the embryologist knowingly put back a split embryo and failed to tell us.  At our next ultrasound, I'm definitely going to ask where the placenta(s) is/are located so I can see for myself.  I may just have to make a call to the fertility clinic and have them take a look in my chart to see what the embryologist noted about the blast she chose to transfer back to us.  Don't worry...I'm not upset that we're having twins, but if she knowingly put back a split embryo, it would have been great to know before 7 weeks that twins was a real possibility for us!

Oh the joys!!

No comments: